Couples Therapy is a psychotherapeutic method that focuses on the couple’s relationship, in which the sessions involve the presence of each partner. This therapy aims to address the problems in the relationship and promote insight, as well as new ways of effectively dealing with these difficulties, allowing the couple to rejoin and improve their intimacy. Thus, the psychologist can propose some “homework” to reinforce new ways of relating to each other and unblock conflict areas.
The effectiveness of this therapy is dependent on the partners availability and motivation to change and work on their relationship and communication.
Couples Therapy is indicated for couples who are in situations such as:
- Difficulty in the emotional relationship;
- Difficulties of communication;
- Difficulties in managing conflicts;
- Difficulties linked to sexuality;
- Crisis situation (e.g., illness, loss of a child, etc.).